FROM DISAPPOINTMENT TO A DREAM SIGHTING: RANTHAMBORE DIARIES


by Ahana Nandy
2nd Year, 
Department of Media Science, TISL

There is something about the jungle that gradually becomes an addiction. The silence, the waiting, and the constant hope of seeing a tiger make the experience more intense over time.

A forest safari wasn't part of our plans, but since we were already heading to Rajasthan, we decided to add Ranthambore National Park. This was my first jungle safari, so I was excited but unsure if I would actually see a tiger. For those interested, you can take the 12315 Ananya Express from Kolkata Station to Sawai Madhopur, then drive to Ranthambore.

Safaris here happen in different zones, including core zones (1–5) and buffer zones (6–10). The core zones offer better chances of sightings. Safaris occur twice a day, in the morning and afternoon, and you can go by gypsy or canter. It is safer to book through official sources like RTDC to avoid scams, and many core zones close during the rainy season.

  captured by Ahana Nandy

Our first safari was in Zone 10 in the afternoon. The forest looked beautiful, and we spotted deer, birds, and monkeys. But as time passed, it felt like we wouldn't see a tiger. By the end of that safari, I felt a bit disappointed.

The next morning, on our last chance, we went to Zone 1. The weather was cold and cloudy. Fresh pugmarks gave us hope, and we kept searching. As the safari was ending, it seemed like we would return without seeing anything.

On the way back, near the main gate, I noticed something on the road. At first, I thought it was a dog, but within seconds I realized it was a tiger and told the driver to stop.

And then everything changed.

"Tigress Sultana spotted with her cubs," our guide suddenly said.

In that moment, we saw all four tigers together, crossing right in front of us. It happened so fast that I was completely frozen.

I tried to record it, but I couldn't capture it properly. Still, that moment will stay in my mind forever — the thrill, the shock, and the feeling that only our gypsy had witnessed it. That single moment didn't just make the trip worth it; it made me understand why the jungle becomes an addiction.

Image Courtesy: Pexels

Comments

Popular Posts